The role of regions in the transition towards a Circular Economy
INFORMATION, INSPIRATION and ACTIVATION on the field of circular economy.
Cities and regions play a crucial role in the transition towards a Circular Economy: what do the Eastern-Netherlands Clean Tech Region, Arnhem Nijmegen City Region, Zwolle and other European regions have to offer, and how does Europe facilitate and stimulate these projects, using regulation, funding and skills?
- Local and inter-regional cooperation pushing for territorial and value-chain symbioses
- Supporting the circular economy with public procurement
- Incentivising circular business models by true pricing
- Making more of the bin and addressing challenging waste fractions
Key-note speeches by Hugo Maria Schally, Head of Unit at DG Environment of the European Commission and Geanne van Arkel, Head of Sustainable Development at INTERFACE. Presentations and circular project pitches by our regions and other European regions, with reactions by ACR+, the European Commission and the European Environmental Bureau.
Share experiences and best practices on specific materials and the above subthemes by representatives of the European Commission, the European Environmental Bureau and other European regions and stakeholders:
- South Denmark
- Lombardia Region
- Mid-Norway Region
- Navarra Region
Lessons learned; which concrete actions can we apply tomorrow as a next step in shaping the circular economy within our regions – as a joint action of public authorities, businesses from different sectors and research organizations to reach ultimately a waste free circular future. Plus, how does Europe stimulate the icon initiatives that are presented?
Triple helix representatives from the Cleantech Region, Arnhem Nijmegen Region and Zwolle; guests from European regions; representatives from the European Commission, EIB and ACR+. Guests from public/regional authorities and triple helix-organizations are welcome! Please register here. If you wish to also present an initiative by your region during the roundtable discussions, please let us know by sending an email to email@example.com.
The Dutch Permanent Representation to the EU, 4-10, Avenue de Cortenbergh
Tuesday, October 9th, 2.30 – 6.00 PM
A joint effort of the Cleantech Region, Arnhem Nijmegen City Region, Zwolle and ACR+.
Robert de Groot, Ambassador, Permanent Representative of the Netherlands to the European Union
- Introduction by the organizers
- Key note from Europe
Hugo Maria Schally, Head of Unit Sustainable production, products & consumption, DG ENVI, EC
- Key note from circular business
Geanne van Arkel, Head of Sustainable development, Interface
- Moderator plenary
Philippe Naudet, ACR+
- Three roundtables on subthemes with short pitches from European regions:
- Moderator rountable discussion 1: Louis Meuleman, DG ENVI, European Commission
- Moderator rountable discussion 2: Piotr Barcak, European Environmental Bureau
- Moderator rountable discussion 3: tbc
- Plenary feedback by the moderators and concluding remarks by organizers
- Networking drinks