The European Commission is proposing a new approach for a sustainable blue economy in the EU, something that is considered essential in order to achieve the ambitions of the European Green Deal. The approach is for industries and sectors related to oceans, seas and coasts.
The Communications sets out an agenda for the blue economy to:
- Achieve the objectives of climate neutrality and zero pollution
- Switch to a circular economy and reduce pollution
- Preserve biodiversity and invest in nature
- Support climate adaptation and coastal resilience
- Ensure sustainable food production
- Improve management of space at sea.
The transition will be supported by the new European Maritime, Fisheries and Aquaculture Fund, in particular the BlueInvest platform. Read more about the initiative here.
ERRIN's Blue Growth and Bioeconomy Working Groups continue to work on many of the subjects covered in the Communication. We are currently seeking input from members on the Horizon Europe Mission on healthy oceans, seas, coastal and inland waters, learn more here.