The European Commission has unveiled the European vaccines strategy, which will accelerate the development, manufacturing and distribution of vaccines against COVID-19.
Since the beginning of the pandemic a vaccine has been seen as the best permanent solution to the coronavirus outbreak. The new strategy proposes a joint EU approach, building on the mandate from EU health ministers.
The Commission will mobilise to support vaccine developers in clinical trials and capacity building.
The objectives are:
- Ensuring the quality, safety and efficacy of vaccines
- Securing swift access to vaccines for Member States and their populations while leading global solidarity efforts
- Ensuring equitable access to an affordable vaccine.
It rests on two pillars:
- Securing the production and a sufficient supply of vaccines in the EU
- Adapting the EU's regulatory framework to the current urgency and making use of existing regulatory flexibility.
Read more about the strategy here.
Photo by Retha Ferguson from Pexels