The European Committee of the Regions (CoR) has approved an action plan to support and assist local and regional authorities during the coronavirus pandemic. The plan was approved yesterday via a video call of the CoR Conference of Presidents.
The plan consists of five measures, they are:
- Foster EU support to local and regional authorities in the health sector via a call for the EU Health Emergency Mechanism
- Create a platform to exchange, cooperate and facilitate mutual support between EU cities and regions
- Provide concrete feedback from the local and regional perspective on health, social and economic aspects of the pandemic, as well as their impact on citizens and communities
- Regularly provide practical information to local and regional authorities on EU measures during the crisis
- Facilitate a reality check on the ground while gathering evidence from members to improve EU policies based on local experiences.
The actions will be accompanied by targetted communication actions detailing what the EU is doing to support regions during this time.
Through the call for the EU Health Emergncy Mechanism, the CoR hopes to coordinate the distribution of essential medical equipments throughout the EU.
Read more about the CoR's plan here.