The European Commission has adopted a package of proposed actions that will transform the EU's climate, energy, land use, transport and taxation policies in a bid to realise the European Green Deal. The transformations will work towards reducing net greenhouse gas emissions by at least 55% by 2030, compared to 1990 levels.
The package includes:
- The EU Emissions Trading System (ETS)
- The Effort Sharing Regulation - to strengthen emission reduction targets for each Member State
- Regulation on Land Use, Forestry and Agriculture
- The Renewable Energy Directive
- The Energy Efficiency Directive
- A revised Alternative Fuels Infrastructure Regulation
- ReFuelEU Aviation Initiative and FuelEU Maritime Initiative
- A revision of the Energy Taxation Direction
- A new Carbon Border Adjustment Mechanism.
Learn more about the announced legislative tools here.
Many of ERRIN's Working Groups will closely follow these developments and some are included in their planned activities for 2021.